Canadian Peter Doucet provides a look into the world of speed skating. Online since March 1999, Speed Skate World (used to Peter's Inline Racing Web Page) provides the skating world with results, photos, news, gossip, and just plain fun! Contact Peter Doucet at shaloheat@hotmail.com

Thank you to the Speed Skate World Sponsors & Supporters

Friday, February 23, 2007

Belchos At LT Junior Worlds, Opposites- USA ST Nationals & World LT Masters, MISC Inline Stuff, More Events!

Belchos At LT Junior Worlds: Jordan Belchos finshed 39th in the 500-meter race at the long track ice junior world championships which are taking place in Innsbruck, Austria. Oh, he also finished 4th in the 3000-meter race (thanks to Nick Zacchia who found the link for me, we can check out the results). I guess your burning question is what’s the connection between Nick Zacchia, Jordan Belchos, and I? Other than the three of us being awesome, there’s also the fact that all three of us were candidates for ‘Own The Podium’. Nick and I got the boot and they kept Jordan. I think Nick and I did not make the final cut in the program because we would have been too good (EDIT 2007-02-25 at 8:25pm- I really didn't make OTP because I didn't test well in the jump test, my wingate test was average, and I would be too old when the 2010 Olympics come around).


Jordan Belchos, me, and Nick Zachhia with Martine Charbonneau behind us- don't you wish you were with us? Trust me, it's fun being with us!

Opposites- USA ST Nationals & World LT Masters: Hehe, you like how I put USA/ World, LT/ ST, Nationals/ Masters are opposites? Some might say they’re not opposites, but I just thought it was a catchy title. Anyways, you can dig up all the results you want from the USA short track nationals. Of course, look no further than Ohno Zone for ongoing coverage of the event.

While this is going on, Andrew Love is continuing to share stories, photos, and results from the world masters championships that are going in right now in Calgary. Click on Day 1, Masters Worlds for more.

MISC Inline Stuff: Let’s start with this one: Indoor Power Rankings posted by The Watcher on Hyper’s Message Board.

The Inline Planet’s got a couple of good new articles out including A Better Road Wheel? and Winning with Imagery. Thanks Robert Burnson for posting these!


MPC's Paul DiJulio (left) with a bag full of wheels was all over the place at last year's world championships making sure the athletes had the chance to try, test, and race on the wheels

More Events!: So it’s time to mark your calendars. I am starting to think that I should start up a new calendar on this site because I am losing track of all the races that I am posting here. Or maybe I shouldn’t keep a race calendar because it would be too much work. I’ll stick to posting it here: Francisco Ramirez is working hard at making sure the New York 100k rocks this year (click for event website).

NCN Racing’s 2007 Calendar is filled with inline skating events with dates including May 13th (Columbia Station) and July 1st (Columbia Station). What worries me is that the July 1st race conflicts with the RSC Canada Day Marathon which will take place in Cambridge, Ontario (you’ll have to wait for details for this one though). Another Canadian race is the Trillium 10k, which is set to take place on May 12th in Mount Forest.


Eric Gee chasing as we arrive in Mount Forest for the 2005 Trillium 10k- he was probably mad at me for some reason


Mister Pauley (right) raises his arm- after the 2005 Trillium 10k- he was probably shouting something like 'The Trillum 10k rocks, and Peter Doucet rocks too!! Let's all give our money to Peter Doucet! Yeahh!'. Jesse Pauley, in front of his dad, look towards the camera.

Finally, check out WAR’s event calendar which has a bunch of stuff you might want to check out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super good post peter, especially the first section. I had heard that it was super cool hanging out with you guys, what with all these rumors flying around on the street, but to hear it come directly from you, now I know it's true.

But one of my sources, again from the proverbial "street", told me that you and that attractive Nick character weren't given the boot because you would have been too good. I heard that you were both asked to leave because everyone was jealous and intimidated by your good looks... especially Mark Greenwald.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 12:40:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.......................

Perhaps Jordan should receive the credit he deserves instead of this "we're amazing for not making the team" & "we should be the center of attention" bullshit.

Get over the fact that you didn't make it in OTP. We don't need to be reminded of your 15 minutes of fame. It is not funny.

Congrats Jordan on the hard work! 4th and 5th are amazing results in the 3k & 5k.

You are definately headed for success and are an inspiration to all of us trying to make the switch.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Peter Doucet said...

I don't consider OTP as being something that gave me 15 minutes of fame; it was a great opportunity for me to experience long track in a very knowledgeable, elite, and experienced environment. As much as I wish I could have moved on in the program, I am more than extrelemely happy to be where I am training in, racing, volunteering, and participating in the sport I love.

In the last post I made about the junior worlds and Jordan's results and connecting myself to Own The Podium and to Nick's friendship, my intention was to share my joy and my honour of having some part (however small) to do with Jordan's success, being thankful for the friendships that I've made in skating, and celebrating Jordan's success.

As for the other skaters who were successful in making the initial OTP cut, it's nowhere close to being over yet for them (and there's a good number of them too); remember the goal of OTP is to have the athletes medal at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. The junior world championships are part of the journey that the skaters will make- the coaches and program directors in OTP gave the message that this success is expected, and the skaters that are going to medal in the Vancouver Olympics need a few years of world cup experience. In that, I think Jordan (and quite a few of the others) are skating really well, but keep in mind that this is just the beginning! There is more to come; and I cannot wait to learn about their success.

I had a fantastic time when I was a canditate for Own The Podium. I continue to use my website to try to promote and share my joy about skating as best as I can. Experiences like being a candidate for OTP, finishing A2A, breaking a record, having success and failures never leave me, they stay fresh in intense inside of me. It's natural (for me) that those experiences will emerge from time-to-time on my website.

I also try to communicate and stay in touch with my friends. I try to convery certain things- messages- to my friends; stories that we've shared, 'inside' jokes via the website; I am sure that my humour might seem misplaced or annoying at times, but there is someone out there who is receiving it positively and it is helping create a community and a sense of belonging.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 7:41:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home