Canadian Peter Doucet provides a look into the world of speed skating. Online since March 1999, Speed Skate World (used to Peter's Inline Racing Web Page) provides the skating world with results, photos, news, gossip, and just plain fun! Contact Peter Doucet at shaloheat@hotmail.com

Thank you to the Speed Skate World Sponsors & Supporters

Friday, January 26, 2007

Banked Track In The Works For Vancouver, The The, Tampa Videos

Banked Track In The Works For Vancouver: There is word that there are plans to build a sister track to Harriston's CITC in Vancouver- host city of the 2010 winter Olympics. The Vancouver Torrent has plans to build a banked track in Vancouver's Strathacona Park.


Vancouver's Strathacona Park- site of the proposed banked track

This is awesome, there might be a 2nd banked track in Canada! According to Microsoft Street & Trips, Strathacona Park is only 4387.6 km’s from my house; The CITC in Harriston is about 125 km’s from my house.

On a serious note, I think this is a great move for the development of our sport in Canada. Wayne Burrett, the president of Roller Sports Canada, has often alluded to us in Canada as gypsies; we’re a sport without a home. I agree. I hope the track is built; I think it could inject a lot of potential and much needed development & excitement in the Canadian roller speed skating scene.

The people that are trying to build the track are trying to get their hands on plans/ track specs. If you have any specs for a banked track, please let me know and I will forward the information to them.

If you read the thread on Bont’s Message Board, the CIC supposedly charges 1000 euro’s for specs.


The banked track in Anyang, Korea; Vancouver may soon have its own facility

The The: I know that my website has been plagued with spelling mistakes in the past. Eric ‘Hip Hop’ Gee once called me on a report in which I wrote ‘The the’. He’s good at finding my mistakes and he likes to mock me. Anyways, I would like to take this time to apologize for my spelling mistakes. I usually rely on the little red lines that go under the spelling mistakes when I am typing using Microsoft Word. When I type directly into the website window to update my site, I don’t have the privilege of having the mistakes underlined in red.

Sometimes though some mistakes slip through- Morgane Echardour was reading yesterday’s entry on my site and pointed out to me that the text under the picture of my cat indicated that it was a picture of my car (see screen shot below). I figure that mistake slipped through because ‘car’ was spelt correctly.


Screenshot from yesterday's spelling mistake: cat for car. I can assure you that Presti is still a cat and NOT a car

I’ll keep making an effort in keeping what I post on my website as accurate as possible. I won’t take responsibility for anything that is inaccurate, mis-spelt, or wrong. If I do spell things correctly and if the information that I post is relevant, up-to-date, important, and interesting, then I will definitely take credit. If you notice that there is a mistake, then I’d like you to ask yourself ‘What word did Peter intend to use?’. I find this a good strategy to use, especially when you’re trying to understand someone who is trying to use big words that they don’t understand.

Tampa Videos: Here’s a link to a few videos from the Tampa Classic. It’s good stuff and watching the videos that are currently posted should take just enough time to fill up your break. Interesting to note that Herb Gayle was in the Master Men’s 500-meter final. He didn’t get a good start, but fought off a few skaters to finish in 4th.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, we were joking about the fact that Herb was probably making treks down to the Wolverines to train instead of coming to Scooters.

I didn't think that he was ACTUALLY doing it though. It's amazing that Herb made the trek down to Florida to race; but it looks like he is doing well.

It's sad that he's racing for another club though :-(

Saturday, January 27, 2007 12:01:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home