Canadian Peter Doucet provides a look into the world of speed skating. Online since March 1999, Speed Skate World (used to Peter's Inline Racing Web Page) provides the skating world with results, photos, news, gossip, and just plain fun! Contact Peter Doucet at shaloheat@hotmail.com

Thank you to the Speed Skate World Sponsors & Supporters

Monday, January 28, 2008

Cheek's Message, Loy Wins Weissensee, Denny Morrison, Portland Outdoors Results, Flyin Brian, Links, Australian Nationals, AK News, Masters SS News

Cheek's Message: Michael Cheek wrote a good entry on his site; A message to today's youth. He offers a lot of good advice to younger skaters. Before giving his ideas, he first says '...I've been a guy 'that's could be really fast'. I've been a guy that's wasting his time skating. I've been called someone that was really fast but didn't know how to race. Been called the guy that wasn't that fast that just knew how to race. I've won meets that i wasn't the fastest guy, and lost meets that i was the fastest guy. I've gone to regionals and not made it out in division, and I've won a gold medal at worlds. I've asked almost every top level coach in the sport for help(thanks for letting me bug you) and tried to remember everyone that ever helped me(ex. that's right Mr. B i still remember in 99 when you had me skating warm ups with my hand on my hip, even if you don't). Basically I've been everything in this sport except a superstar. And everything I'm about to say i heard from someone before. I'm not perfect and I'm never going to be. So I still do dumb stuff(A lot). But I just wanted to share some stuff that I learned through the years skating'.

Loy Wins Weissensee: Ice and inline animal Tristan Loy won last this past weekend's Weissensee Criterium- Roller En Ligne has a report about this called Loy remporte le 1er criterium Weissensee.


Denny Morrison: Denny Morrison (see his fan site) won the men's 1000-meter yesterday in the long track world cup in Norway. See the article Canada’s Denny Morrison wins gold at speed skating World Cup for more.

Portland Outdoors Results: MSI's International Big Rideau Lake Speed Skating Marathon was held this past Saturday in Portland, Ontario. You can find unofficial results here. You can also read a report- see the press release- 'Youri Juteau of Normanville,Quebec and Katie Kathie Zapotocki of Zionsville, Pennsylvania win fifth International Big Rideau Lake Speed Skating Marathon'. Official and full results will be posted on MyLaps.com. Alicia Weiss was on hand to photograph the event- click here for her photos.


Big Rideau Marathon- photo from Alicia Weiss


Flyin Brian: Flyin Brian has a couple of recent entries; check out Dick Ring and Week round up & Chad's back .

Links: Check out Rollerblade I.B.U. Speedodrom. This link contains many skating links that can send you on a website exploration frenzy; POL Roller Skating's links page.

Australian Nationals: Use the following links to find results from the Australian nationals; Road Points, road results, track points, and track results. You can also find many results in the Speed Skaterz Message Board.

AK News: Andrew Kraft's site Andrew's Speed Skating Blog has a recent article called Hannover-Celle Marathon Will Not Continue 2008. He says 'Now I know about every inch of the race by heart, especially the last kilometers (it’s a point to point race from Hannover to Celle). My home town hosts the European marathon championships for master skaters… and somebody involved in the organization placed the big ‘500M to go’ sign 2.35 kilometers away from the finish line!!!'.

Masters SS News: Ross Hanham's website Master Speed Skating News continues to have a flurry of information and posts. You'll find a report on the Ontario Provincial Long Track Championships (see photos from Alicia Weiss) and a report on the Alberta Indoor Long Track Championships (click here for results).

The entry that caught my eye was this one; Lakefield Masters Speed Skating Challenge- Ross Hanham writes 'The Ontario Speed Skating Association has just published entry form and event information for this first-ever competition scheduled for February 2-3, 2008 on natural ice at the site of the future Ontario Speed Skating Oval in Lakefield Ontario'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home