Canadian Peter Doucet provides a look into the world of speed skating. Online since March 1999, Speed Skate World (used to Peter's Inline Racing Web Page) provides the skating world with results, photos, news, gossip, and just plain fun! Contact Peter Doucet at shaloheat@hotmail.com

Thank you to the Speed Skate World Sponsors & Supporters

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Canadian Short Track Team Trials- Day 3- 1000's & Relays

Canadian Short Track Team Trials- Day 3- 1000's & Relays: I spent a good part of today catching the Canadian Short Track Team Trials action at arena Maurice Richard in Montreal. The arena is located right beside the infamous Stade Olympique- one of the venues for the 1976 Summer Olympic Games.

The racing action was superb! From what I can tell, Canada has a lot of short track speed skating talent and depth to boast. Each race- from battle for the win in the the A final down to the 36th place skater provided fast racing and great excitement.

You don't believe me? Well check out Simon Clement's video (500m Selection nationale courte piste) from yesterday's 500's- his video is full of 500m sprints including a couple of cool falls at 4:37 and 4:43.


Make sure you go and see my video from yesterday's 500's- click play below. Yesterday's video includes all sorts of footagge including an interview with Olivier Jean, with Pete Dykstra, Youri Juteau and Olivier Jean talking about video software (Darkfish) while I kindly translate, 500m race footage including 500-meter A finals (women and men) at the end of the video, Zamboni and cafeteria footage, and skaters warming up. I think my video's from yesterday's racing (and more stuff) is pretty good so I hope you view it and enjoy it!!


The video from today's 1000's and relays will feature some awesome footage because I was able to get to ice level and get some super good footage. I'll post that video once I've edited it- maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.

I took quite a few pictures today (click here for my album with 174 pictures!), and again, today's pictures are way better because I was able to get to ice level thanks to my friend Benoit Vaillancourt- he lives in Argentina, and I hung out with him at the 2005 Pan American Championships in Mar Del Plata.

While I was hanging around at ice level, I had the opportunity to speak with a few people and get a lot of insight on the politics of short track, the support and work that goes into building a strong Canadian team, and I got a glimpse into the world of how skaters react to their success and failures.

I think that how skaters react to and deal with their respective performances is an indication or assessment of the ammount work, spirit, energy, time, sacrifice, team effort, knowledge, development, and risk goes into preparing for events of this calibre and beyond- and this one was just for skaters from within the borders of Canada...



2008-01-20 Montreal Canadian National Short Track Speed Skating Team Trials- 174 pictures!


Women's 1000-meter- one of the many finals


The media was on hand to cover the racing action. These guys with long lenses were taking pictures that I would like to put on Speed Skate World


Men's 1000-meter final action- one of the many finals


The guy slamming into the Cheerios sign was pretty mad and started fighting with the skater who, I think, caused the crash. After some pushing and words, tempers cooled quickly- there's a lot riding on these races from what I've been told; funding, training opportunities, travel, support, sponsorship, pride; results


Smiles early on in the women's relay- but the action got fast and serious real quick, or got quick and serious real faaaaast- skaters were placed in relays teams based on their rankings; the top-16 female and male skaters were placed on as even as possible teams. The outcome was a couple of really exciting relay races


Men's relay


Men's relay


Men's relay


Steve Robillard a-top the men's 1000-meter podium

4 Comments:

Blogger Boudie said...

You've been tagged by this frequent reader. Write 5 things about yourself that people are unlikely to know. ;-)

You deserve a "gold medal" for your coverage. After blogging a tad I'm amazed at the width and depth of your site. thanks! I don't know if you remember me but I went to an Inline Camp way back in Toronto that Chad was at. Heck I never even asked Chad if he remembered me at that camp. It was a long long time ago in a far away place. It was pretty cool camp.

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:27:00 PM

 
Blogger Peter Doucet said...

Hey thanks for the words. I have pics from that camp in 1996- you were shirtless with a black helmet?

Pics- http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8251/1996scarboroughclinicpagn8.jpg
You see me chilling behind Hedrick? The guy was an animal!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:37:00 PM

 
Blogger Boudie said...

Hey Peter, i can't see the link for the pic?

img170.imageshack.us/img170/8251/1996scarboroughclinicpagn8

do I need to sign up?

Speaking of Chad here's an interesting article by my hometown boy Bob Ryan.....it was a while back and i love the way he writes.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/olympics/articles/2006/02/25/in_end_a_hanging_chad/

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Peter Doucet said...

Let's try again- put the following together as one url;

http://img170.imageshack.us/
img170/8251/
1996scarboroughclinicpagn8.jpg

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:33:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home