Canadian Peter Doucet provides a look into the world of speed skating. Online since March 1999, Speed Skate World (used to Peter's Inline Racing Web Page) provides the skating world with results, photos, news, gossip, and just plain fun! Contact Peter Doucet at shaloheat@hotmail.com

Thank you to the Speed Skate World Sponsors & Supporters

Saturday, December 22, 2007

KNSB Cup 12 Breda Updates & Video, RRC's Low & Pics, IP Skate Tip, Challenge Update, CW's Dare I Say It?, Trans-USA Record Update, Santa & Hong Kong

KNSB Cup 12 Breda Updates & Video: I am glad Skate Podium is on top of things such as making sure that live udpates from the KNSB Cup #12 in Breda is posted. Oh and just when I am about to head off and have some fun with some friends, I stumble upon a video of the men's A race.

Below are the top-20 finishers of the men's A race. When I look at that list, I realize that I forgot to change my Marathon Manager team. I am a bad manager. I've changed my line-up once of twice during the competition and I did fairly well those times, but I usually forget to change my skaters, and that's why I am floating around in 350th place or so...eeek! 3 of my guys are in the top-20 this week, with Sjoerd Huisman being my highest placed skater. You can find all the results by prodding around here.
1 Arjan Stroetinga
2 Sjoerd Huisman
3 Bob de Vries
4 Ingmar Berga
5 Bart de Vries
6 Ralf Zwitser
7 Roy Boeve
8 Durk Fabriek
9 Gary Hekman
10 Jasper van Tol
11 René Ruitenberg
12 André Withaar
13 Rob Hadders
14 Arjan Mombarg
15 Peter de Vries
16 Douwe de Vries
17 Alain Gloor
18 Geert-Jan van der Wal
19 Douwe Bierma
20 Rob Busser

Here's the video from the KNSB Cup #12-


RRC's Low & Pics: The people who work for an write at the Road Rash Chronicles updated their website with a positive review of my Inline Planet article The Low Down- see SpeedSkateWorld.com and the Down Low for more. I think they are applying some of the ideas in their training; see A true Road Rash Chronicle. The post that got my attention though was Last pics of Indoor until the new year.


A bearded skater- photo from Road Rash Chronicles

IP Skate Tip: The newest of the Inline Planet's skate tips is written by none other than Nicole Begg- it's called Warm-ups and Cool-downs.


Nicole Begg (in black) in the thick of the action at the 2007 world roller speed skating championships in Cali, Colombia

Challenge Update: Andrew Hegarty has posted an update on The Challenge- see The Challenge - Update #1 for more.

CW's Dare I Say It?: Here's a good read from Candy Wong; Dare I Say It?.

Trans-USA Record Update: There is a new post in the Trans-USA Record Attempt thread. How about getting involved if he's skating near you? Danny Dannels says 'Guinness has decided that I am allowed to pace with people. I will try to keep as current an update as possible of my route and location. I would be honored to share the road with other skaters. If you care to, call your local media and see if they are interested in carrying the story, even if you don't live near the route. We can use this to raise awareness for our sport and teams. I could honestly use the help in getting the word out. Maybe we could get some face time for the local teams on the news. It's current events, health, and sports'.

Santa & Hong Kong: This one seems like jolly 'old fun; SANTA CLAUS SKATE Hong Kong. Bill Begg says '... have also been fitted with a Complete Santa Uniform'. Heheheheh, I would love to see that!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the most important reason to warm up and cool down properly is to prevent an injury.

When you're "cold", athletes tend to have stiff muscles. We've all felt it because we all spend a considerable amount of our days training.

"Stiff" means that the muscles are not going to be able to instantly achieve maximum range of motion (like in a sprint or start.) Not surprisingly, it's during one of these that you end up pulling or injuring a muscle.

It's not just the lower body either. The arms and muscles in the trunk are also responsible for hard, sudden accells. I've injured those too.

If you watch a big ice competition from the sidelines, some of the top athletes (yes even the younger ones) engage in various calisthenics and moves to increase their joint range of motion before "gradually" increasing intensity, speed and explosive movement.

I feel that after several pulled groins, shoulders and back problems - this was the reason why. Lack of a proper warm-up and lack of understanding WHY it is so very important.

I see so many skaters just step on the ice or track and suddenly accellerate or sprint with no regard to range of joint motion. I believe that almost all muscle pull injuries could be prevented if we took the time to properly "warm up."

The problem is further worsened by coaches who don't explain nor emphasize a proper warm up.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 1:37:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home