Canadian Peter Doucet provides a look into the world of speed skating. Online since March 1999, Speed Skate World (used to Peter's Inline Racing Web Page) provides the skating world with results, photos, news, gossip, and just plain fun! Contact Peter Doucet at shaloheat@hotmail.com

Thank you to the Speed Skate World Sponsors & Supporters

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Aaron Arndt, Phillip's Father's War, 2008 Spring Fling Pics, Francesco Zangarini Interview, Loy In Kuopio, Quarter Life

Happy Birthday Aaron Arndt: Happy birthday to you Aaron Arndt.

Phillip's Father's War: The following is non-skating-

I suggest you read My Father's War by Mississauga's Phillip Morris.

Here are a few of my thoughts after I read My Father's War- maybe they don't make sense...

You think you know someone.

Maybe it's a friend or a family member.

Then, for some reason, you experience a shift in your relationship with that person. Maybe you read something they wrote. Maybe time that you spend with that person changes you... or changes them. Maybe things outside of your relationship with that person change- and in turn alter the nature of your relationship.

Things change, and afterwards, you think you know that person a little bit better.

We all have our layers; our depths that we sometimes share with others. Secrets that may eventually come out when they're ready to come out, maybe when it's too late or when it's too early or at just the right time.

I have my depths-

The following text is from Phillip Morris' writing called My Father's War. The piece was published in the Gazette on June 2nd 2007- '...My father never glorified war. He said that a lot of young men died for nothing. He never encouraged anyone to go to war to solve their problems.

On Remembrance Day, just before he died, my brother and I dressed Dad in his blue blazer, medals and beret and sat him in front of the television. His mind occupied by morphine and approaching death, he didn’t pay attention. Then the bugler played Last Post. In a desperate voice, he whispered 'get me up.' He never spoke again
'.

2008 Spring Fling Pics: Beautiful pictures by Mark Virtue; 2008 Spring Fling, Skateland, Bremerton Washington. Some of the albums aren't working for me at this time, but I hope they work for you.


2008 Spring Fling Novice short race- photo by Mark Virtue


2008 Spring Fling 2 mix relay- photo by Mark Virtue


2008 Spring Fling 4 person relay- photo by Mark Virtue


2008 Spring Fling 4 person relay- photo by Mark Virtue


2008 Spring Fling- photo by Mark Virtue

Francesco Zangarini Interview: Click here for an interview (in French) with Italy's Francesco Zangarini.

Loy In Kuopio: Roller En Ligne has an article about Trisant Loy's 3rd place finish in Kuopio, Finland from a few days ago.

You can find all the results here and the final Essent Grand Prix standings here.

You can view a video of the race here. The video is 30-minutes long and opens with a great bird's eye view of skaters.


Quarter Life: I've been a fan of Quarter Life since December. The site features many different things including an online show- two episodes are released each week. Quarter Life is making its network television debut on NBC at this moment. Good stuff :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter -- I got the rest of the files up.

--Mark

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:32:00 AM

 
Blogger Peter Doucet said...

This comment is from Alex Perrie who was unable to post it here- he sent it to me today;

Thanks Phillip for sharing your story. I printed it out and gave it to our Legion president to read. I watched Ron for a while and I was sure I seen a tear come to his eye as he also remembered the great sacrifice your fathe and many of his comrads made. Thank Alex Perrie

Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:28:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home